Monday, March 23, 2015

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty: A Book Review

Good Monday Morning,

Is there really such a thing? For me yes because we are just days from heading home (Wednesday) and I am SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED! That may account for my sleep issues this week, who knows.

Last week Tanya and I were wandering around BJ's and we decided to check out the books, if I haven't mentioned it before they really have a great selection there of books and they are really cheap! I actually went in looking for a book that I had saw there a couple of days before but of course I couldn't find it so I settled on the one I am here to tell you about, so let's chat about it.

The Hypnotist's Love Story
By: Liane Moriarty


The following is the synopsis taken straight from the goodreads.com website, you can find it HERE as well. 

For fans of Emily Giffin, another wonderful book from the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller, THE HUSBAND’S SECRET...

Ellen O’Farrell is a professional hypnotherapist who works out of the eccentric beachfront home she inherited from her grandparents. It’s a nice life, except for her tumultuous relationship history. She’s stoic about it, but at this point, Ellen wouldn’t mind a lasting one. When she meets Patrick, she’s optimistic. He’s attractive, single, employed, and best of all, he seems to like her back. Then comes that dreaded moment: He thinks they should have a talk.

Braced for the worst, Ellen is pleasantly surprised. It turns out that Patrick’s ex-girlfriend is stalking him. Ellen thinks, Actually, that’s kind of interesting. She’s dating someone worth stalking. She’s intrigued by the woman’s motives. In fact, she’d even love to meet her.

Ellen doesn’t know it, but she already has.

I will say off the bat that I didn't really love this book all that much, it was extremely long but with no real climactic action if you will. The story is based around a stalker so it keeps your attention because you keep waiting for some big event, and I suppose that kind of happens but not at all in the way I suspected... or maybe truthfully the event was minimized in the book and therefore I didn't feel like it was made as big of a deal as it should have been. 

I liked the fact that it was based in Austrailia, the language or "accent" if you will reminded me a lot of reading British authors which I enjoy but this is where I struggled. There were a few references/comparisons that I found kind of offensive and they were closer to the beginning so they threw me off a bit, threw me off the book and writer. I'm not easily offended but I thought they were kind of insensitive and basically just plain rude. If you are offended easily this book is not for you. 

I don't feel like the book is a waste of time, I enjoyed it despite what I have already mentioned, I don't plan to keep it around to read again though. You're not going to love every book you read but I don't count this as a total fail. 

This author actually has quite a few books that can be found HERE, there are a few on the list that I have seen other people reading recently so I would definitely give a few a try. Have you read any books by this author? What did you think?

I hope you all have a great week and your Monday's fly by! Thanks for stopping in!

 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment