Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Birch Box Finds & Review

Good Morning,

I try every once in awhile to get here with a review for some of the products that I have received in my monthly Birchbox subscription. As you know I receive a monthly Birchbox and I absolutely LOVE it, you get a bunch of sample size products to try and than you are able to tell what is worth buying and what isn't. As I post all that I receive in my monthly boxes I like to come buy and tell you what I think about the things that I have received and what was a little bit of a disappointment.

Super Good Forever Young Hand Cream


I hear a lot of people rave about this product so when I received it in my Birchbox I was really excited to try it out. About two weeks ago I put it on my nightstand to use as night and well... I don't like it. First of all the smell is fierce and not in a good way.. I don't even know how to describe it but I know that I do not like it at all. I found it to be greasy when you first apply it and it took a really long time to absorb, it wasn't a huge deal as I was using it while going to bed but for the price (above bottle is $29.50) I would definitely not purchase it. 

Modelco Powerlash High Impact Mascara - Black


I really like this mascara, it volumizes, its super dark and it has great lasting power. I don't have anything back to say about this mascara at all but I will say that I wouldn't purchase it. To buy this product full size its $20.00 which is fine but for me I find that regular drugstore brands that you can buy for $7.00 will do the same thing. I am lucky when it comes to mascara, I have my favorites but I also have pretty long and full eyelashes so I don't need to buy super expensive products to get achieve the look I want. I would recommend it, maybe if you have trouble establishing volume and fullness this may be the product for you. 

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer 


I will say this product does everything they say it does, smooths the appearance of fine lines and pores and it really preps your skin to apply foundation. It applies nicely and is not oily or greasy at all, I really like the way my foundation applies over it and lasts all day. Smashbox carries a huge variety of foundation primers for all different skin types which is fantastic because you can really find the product geared towards your needs, you can view them HERE. This product can be purchased for $15.00 - $39.00 and I would definitely buy it!

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer


I wont lie I really never had the desire to try a lid primer, I just figured you were covering your eyelids anyways so why both? This product definitely changed my mind. I think everyone's eye lids show veins and what not and this covers EVERYTHING! Its super luxurious and rich in texture, I put a little on my lid with the applicator and then rub it in with my fingertip. It leaves my eyelid feeling smooth and honestly you can get away with just wearing this on a minimal makeup day. If you choose to apply eye shadow over it then I guarantee you will find that you eyeshadow will last all day and not crease in the least bit. You can purchase this for $21.00 which is a great price and cheaper than a lot of its competing products! I will absolutely be buying one when I finish this one!!

Mirenesse Matifying Lip Rouge in Sydney


The perfect red lip can be found with this baby! I absolutely LOVE this stuff, I love the color, texture, the way it applies, there is nothing I don't like. Finding the perfect red lipstick to suit your skin tone is really hard, and finding the perfect lipstick is also a feat.. for me this accomplished both. Its a really creamy but dries to a matte finish and has great lasting power. You can purchase this product in full size and in a variety of colors for $29.00. Here is a picture of my wearing this color on New Years, I really like it! Pardon the selfie! 

(Grainy iPhone picture. Sorry)


Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream


I didn't like this. It was thick and greasy, an odd yellow color. Maybe it was all natural or something but regardless I didn't like this at all. I actually saw it for the first time in a store at Ricky's in NYC. It can be purchased for $16.00, but honestly I wouldn't waste your money. If you have tried this and have a different opinion please share! 

Neil George Shampoo & Conditioner


I was pretty excited to receive these in my January Birchbox, in all the previews they were showing a lot of things I already had so I figured I would get doubles or something and I was super happy to receive this! I have tried them both and really like them, however although they don't say so I really felt as though they induced volume and that is the last thing I need. These products were created by Beverly Hills Stylists and are antioxidant rich and great for color treated hair. They both smell super strong of mint and lavender, similar to the Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner. I really liked both of these, I loved the smell and how the fragrance lingered, although I don't need the volume I would definitely purchase these. Also paraben free! What's even better is you can buy these full size for $9.00 each!! You're welcome! 

Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner in Jaipur Gold

<source> (this is not my hand)

I had the absolute hardest time trying to find a picture of this stuff! Although the packaging portrays the color to be a almost gold it definitely is not, its more of a dark brown with gold flecks if you will. When I first got it I opened I swatched it on my hand and I swear I could not get it off! This stuff lasts all day and night, you are not getting it off without eye makeup remover and a little elbow grease. Generally I would only wear black eyeliner but I actually really like this for something different but not too far out of my comfort zone! It can be purchased for $11.00 - $21.00 in a variety of colors, I haven't used it a ton on my eyes but so far I think its absolutely great!! 

So there you have it, just a few more products I have gotten to use via my Birchbox. Like I said it really is a great way to try new products and prevents you from wasting money if they aren't for you or giving you a nice little trial before you go out and spend the money on the full size. They aren't all a win but that's half the fun of it. Even if I wouldn't spend the money for whatever reason on the full size generally I really enjoy using the sample when I get it. I appreciate that there is a variety, for me I mostly love the makeup stuff, hair stuff is hard because I have so much hair I generally get 1-2 uses out of a lot of the hair products but at least I know whats good and whats not! 

Do you have a Birchbox subscription? If so what have you been getting lately that you love?

I hope you guys are having a great week! I'm not sure when this is going to go up as I have some book reviews saved as well and am trying to give a little variety! 


 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment