Friday, December 6, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE BROTHER

Today is my not so little brother’s birthday and although our relationship is based mainly on sarcasm amongst a few other things I thought this morning that because we are so far apart I would write him a letter, just not a legit letter I thought I would write one to him here. So all of you could read it too… how personal!

Dear little brother,

I remember before you were born I wanted a sister, Britney Katie to be exact! When Dad brought me to the hospital to meet you, boy was I pissed! I honestly didn’t know what to make of you, what the hell was I going to do with a brother? What did brothers do anyways? I soon learned.

Brothers push you on the ground, stand on your hair and try to pull you up… brothers tease you, kick you and screw with elastic bands Mom told you a million times not to that would eventually end up almost taking MY eye out. Brothers sometimes let you dress them up, they are great at taking the blame for crap you did. Brothers are secret best friends that although you may not recognize it every day, they are always on your side.

Kids will be kids and that we were, but being four years older then you I got to appreciate you from a whole different perspective as we grew. In so many ways we were complete and utter opposites which is why still to this day we bicker and fight, curse and swear, and I give you the silent treatment and you relent (like how I got that down?). You were not always the easiest kid to live with, I swear you’re the reason Mom has grey hair, but you taught her patience, you taught me perseverance. When you took an interest in something you mastered the craft, you learned it backwards and forwards, I admire your determination. You were always good with your hands, would take anything apart anyone would let you (and sometimes not) and put it back together all on your own, you always seem to do this with ease.

As we got older we had more in common, music, activities, and I looked forward to spending time with you. I loved TGIF on Friday nights, the times when we could play board games and actually get along. Those days when a gold ol’ fashion sing song was exactly what we needed and singing at the top of our lungs was the best part of the day. Some of the best memories I have are smiling and laughing with you.

I look at you now, a young man and I cannot even begin to describe the mixed emotions I have! Watching you grow I knew that you would make something of yourself in your own time, as you always danced to the beat of your own drum. I watched you learn to drive, as Jason taught you in the new truck, graduate high school, get a job, party…I was with you the first time you got drunk and begged Mom to take you to the hospital! In all of that I knew that no one would ever been good enough for you in my eyes, but I never expected to feel as protective of you as I do. Maybe being away has made that so, I never knew I could miss you so much. There are days when I am driving in the truck and here a song and sob because it makes me think of you and at that moment being apart from you seems unbearable. There are days when we are all sitting around having beers and I wish more than anything you were here, because it just doesn’t feel the same. Who knew I would consider you a best friend?

I so appreciate our time together, although I feel it is never quite enough. I love that Jason loves you as much as I do and truth be told its competition when we come home for your time! Haha this should not be surprising as you partake in our facetime events as well. There are no words for how much I miss you, front seat dance parties, beers on the deck, movie nights with popcorn, TGI Fridays.

You are not a little boy anymore, and haven’t been for quite some time, I think I will always seen you as 5 years old for the most part but man I couldn’t be more proud of the man you have become. You make me proud to call you my brother every single day, I will always have your back no matter what, and our home will ALWAYS be your home.

Although you may not be little anymore, I am still older then you (even if most people don’t believe it) so I will leave you with some words of wisdom as you grow another year wiser.

-       If something seems too good to be true, it probably is (I’I'm sure you hear this from Dad, he taught me and he was right).

-       Life is too short to be unhappy, make decisions that have consequences that make you smile. Sometimes you need to put you first, like only you can.


-       Be smart with your money, it doesn’t grow on trees. Make wise decisions now for the amazing future I know you have in store.

-       Say I love you as much as you can and mean it, tomorrow is not promised.


-       Make time for the things that are important to you, again, tomorrow is not promised.

-       Stand up for yourself when you know you are right, don’t be arrogant, be firm… you are intelligent and strong, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

-       Stay young while you can, live at home, save your money and let Mom make your lunch some days, being an adult is hard… don’t rush it.

-       Share your humor; it is one of your greatest attributes! If someone doesn’t find you funny, they are probably deaf... Don’t be offended.

-       Be appreciative and grateful for all that you have, it didn’t come out of nowhere. We are SO FORTUNATE to have had the upbringing we had, always remember where you came from.

Last but not least know that I love you, know that I miss you every day and look forward to every facetime, text and phone call because living away from you will never be easy. Know that no matter how far apart we are I am always just a phone call away. I will get on a plane and be there for you as fast as I can, but know that if you act up I can be on a plane just as quick! You have taught me so many things in your short years; I cannot wait to see what your future brings!

I hope you have a wonderful birthday and celebrate in the best way possible!

Ps – I think this should be the year you quit smoking.


Haha Love ya Goober!










 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

3 comments:

  1. OK...so that just made me cry! So great you two have a wonderful relationship. I can't say the same for myself, so there is a bit of envy in there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Cathy, my mom cried too! We really do have a great relationship and I am so thankful for that! It's definitely not always a given with siblings which is sad! Being away takes a little more effort but he's definitely worth it!! Hope you're having a fabulous weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete