Friday, August 21, 2015

Trip Home August 2015, Part Two

Good Morning,

Two posts in two days, you're impressed aren't you? I am.. it definitely hasn't happened in awhile that's for sure! But none the less here I am, and totally ready to recap the second half of our trip for you guys!

Monday morning which was our second morning there we had plans to go white water rafting! I wont lie I have never been and its never actually been on the top of my list of things to do. I was a little anxious that morning not knowing what to expect. We stopped and got a coffee on the way and then headed over to the Nantahala River. We booked our trip through the Nantahala Outdoor Center which was a really great place, there are restaurants there as well as gift shops and stuff definitely a great place for an adventure and a few other activities there.

When we arrived we checked in and then checked out the river, I was actually pretty shocked because the river didn't look as though it would be good for a white water adventure at all.



When it was time to go they had us watch a little video before heading down to the spot where we would put in the river. The video was TERRIFYING. I sat there trying not to cry, sure that I was going to die on this trip. They honestly basically tell you that you are going to fall out of your boat and most likely you will hit a rock and break something or die unless you listen to every single thing they say. I'm a good swimmer but the idea of flipping over in a rushing river that will likely drag you miles.. not fun in my books. Just me? Ok. 

Jason knew I was terrified, he kept trying to assure me it would be fine and I kept trying not to cry. We got our life jackets.. which SMELLED TERRIBLE, the only thing I will say is if you decided to take part in something water related through the Nantahala outdoor center I highly recommend bringing your own life jacket because theirs were disgusting. Anyways we got our paddles and got on the bus to head to the drop in point. 

The first thing I decided was the water was freezing, and that was before I even had two feet in the water! I was terrified and rightfully so.. I didn't change my mind the entire trip! The water was freezing cold, I was absolutely frozen to the point of blue lips, it was terrifying basically. Jason laughed at me the entire way and I have never been happier than to get out of a boat in my entire life! We had a two person inflatable raft that we never flipped which was a blessing and when we arrived at the take out point I asked how cold the water was and they said it was 50 degrees.. 50 DEGREES!

Jason took this picture along with a few videos but he was the primary paddler so it was hard to get good shots, and I was in no condition to focus on taking pictures as I was shaking far too bad. 

Basically the river is dam released and comes for a 200 foot deep lake which is why its so cold, as the morning goes on the water becomes rougher and rougher. By the time we arrived back at the outdoor center I couldn't believe the difference in the water and how rough and high it was. 

We changed and got into dry WARM clothes, and decided to have lunch before we headed off to our next adventure. As I mentioned before there was a restaurant right there so we had some BBQ which is always the way to go. After that we decided to drive up to Fontana Lake/Dam, the drive was absolutely beautiful and the lake was GORGEOUS! If you are ever in the Great Smokey Mountains it is totally worth your time to check it out! 











There was a visitors center there that gave a bunch of history about the dam which was really interesting, you can view some of the information HERE if you are interested. We decided to head back to the cabin because they were calling for rain and we needed to either start a fire and hope to cook dinner before it rained or figure something else out. Sadly it rained as we were getting there but it didn't last long and we managed to still have a fire and dinner which was great! 

I wont lie we were sad to leave the following day, but had a great trip planned home! We decided to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway up through Cherokee, we wanted to end up in around Waynesville because Jason found a gun range where he wanted to shoot. Although it was pouring rain when we left it stopped before we made it into town so we grabbed coffee and toured around a few gift shops, I had the best Maple Latte I've ever had in my life. 




God love Jason who stopped every 5 minutes for me to take pictures. 

Thankfully the day cleared up before we arrived at the gun range. Jason was dying to shoot his guns and I was really worried it wouldn't happen due to weather but thankfully it cleared off. There were two older gentlemen there shooting but otherwise it was quiet.





After shooting we decided to grab sandwiches and get on the road home! 





Sadly about two hours from home we hit some really bad weather and we were driving with it so it didn't get better. 



Basically we couldn't see anything for a long time, and it was absolutely miserable... on a good note we didn't have to water the lawn when we got home! Glass half full. 

The last week of our trip was laid back, we did some touring around town and went to the driving range! 

Yes I golf in flip flops!

While we were home we also started watching Sons of Anarchy because we never got into it while it was on the air and we were looking for a series to watch.. that's another post for another day but I will say.. I am ADDICTED! 

Since we've been back we have just been getting back into the swing of things, catching up on things and with people. Tuesday I spent the day with Ava and Lily, they make any day a good day! 

Water babes! 

The bag lady, she generally carries a purse but not this many at once! The ensemble wasn't quite complete without her sunglasses either.. obvi! 

So that's our scoop, I'm really sorry for the hiatus, it wasn't my intention but I thought there was a chance there would be some radio silence around here for awhile although I am hoping next week to get back on some sort of schedule and post more regularly again! 

I hope you all have a great weekend, we are thinking about checking out Ocean City, Maryland for the day! 

Thank you as always for stopping by!! 

 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment